Quick “Official” Bio:
Kat Cho used to hide books under the bathroom sink and then sneak in there to read after bedtime. Her parents pretended not to know. This helped when she decided to write a dinosaur time-travel novel at the tender age of nine. Sadly, that book was not published. She currently works in NYC as an editorial assistant. Kat’s YA contemporary fantasy debut, GUMIHO, comes out with Putnam Books for Young Readers/Penguin in 2019.
Fun Kat Facts
• I am a Korean American author who finds a lot/too much/just enough inspiration in K-dramas.
• I went to Wesleyan University for undergrad and CUNY School of Public Health for graduate school.
• I worked in cancer research in my previous life.
• My favorite movie as a baby was My Neighbor Totoro, my favorite movie as a child was The Little Mermaid, my favorite movie as a pre-teen was Ever After, my favorite movie as a teen was Spaceballs.
• I don’t have a favorite K-drama, please don’t ask me to choose.
• I also don’t have a favorite Kpop group. But the first kpop group I loved was H.O.T.
• I do have favorite Korean actors/actresses but they also change often. However, you can tell who I love in the moment because all of my characters are suddenly based on them.
• My ageless Korean skin made it so I only used basic face wash and lotion for a looong time until I randomly fell in love with Korean skincare. I will never go back to that two-step basic system again! Five+ steps or death! Face masks for life!
• I don’t have a sweet tooth, which has caused actual fights with my close friends. But if I were to choose a favorite candy it would be Swedish Fish. My favorite cookie is chocolate chip.
• I don’t like tacos which has caused as many friend fights as my lack of sweet tooth. (These fights are actually really mild, except that one time…O_o)
• I once had a conversation with my grandmother about whether there was more than one way to say “butt” in Korean. Conclusion: probably?
• I am represented by the amazing Beth Phelan at Gallt & Zacker